Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Director of the Center for Materials Genomics
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- M.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- M.S. University of Padua (Italy), 1995
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Best Paper Award, CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry), 2005
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society, 2002
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award, Office of Naval Research, 2007
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Taylor, RH; Rose, F; Toher, C; Levy, O; Yang, K; Buongiorno Nardelli, M; Curtarolo, S, A RESTful API for exchanging materials data in the AFLOWLIB.org consortium, Computational Materials Science, vol 93 (2014), pp. 178-192 [10.1016/j.commatsci.2014.05.014] [abs].
- Hirsch, A; Azuri, I; Addadi, L; Weiner, S; Yang, K; Curtarolo, S; Kronik, L, Infrared Absorption Spectrum of Brushite from First Principles, Chemistry of Materials, vol 26 no. 9 (2014), pp. 2934-2942 [10.1021/cm500650t] [abs].
- Petucci, J; Karimi, M; Huang, YT; Curtarolo, S; Diehl, RD, Ordering and growth of rare gas films (Xe, Kr, Ar, and Ne) on the pseudo-ten-fold quasicrystalline approximant Al₁₃Co₄(100) surface., Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol 26 no. 9 (2014) [10.1088/0953-8984/26/9/095003] [abs].
- Martínez-Guerra, E; Ortíz-Chi, F; Curtarolo, S; de Coss, R, Pressure effects on the electronic structure and superconducting critical temperature of Li2B2., Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol 26 no. 11 (2014) [10.1088/0953-8984/26/11/115701] [abs].
- Carrete, J; Li, W; Mingo, N; Wang, S; Curtarolo, S, Finding Unprecedentedly Low-Thermal-Conductivity Half-Heusler Semiconductors via High-Throughput Materials Modeling, Physical Review X, vol 4 no. 1 (2014) [10.1103/PhysRevX.4.011019] [abs].