Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Director of the Center for Materials Genomics
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- M.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- M.S. University of Padua (Italy), 1995
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Best Paper Award, CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry), 2005
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society, 2002
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award, Office of Naval Research, 2007
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Sachet, E; Shelton, CT; Harris, JS; Gaddy, BE; Irving, DL; Curtarolo, S; Donovan, BF; Hopkins, PE; Sharma, PA; Sharma, AL; Ihlefeld, J; Franzen, S; Maria, JP, Dysprosium-doped cadmium oxide as a gateway material for mid-infrared plasmonics., Nature Materials, vol 14 no. 4 (2015), pp. 414-420 [10.1038/nmat4203] [abs].
- Isayev, O; Fourches, D; Muratov, EN; Oses, C; Rasch, K; Tropsha, A; Curtarolo, S, Materials Cartography: Representing and Mining Materials Space Using Structural and Electronic Fingerprints, Chemistry of Materials, vol 27 no. 3 (2015), pp. 735-743 [10.1021/cm503507h] [abs].
- Curtarolo, S; Agapito, LA; Buongiorno Nardelli, M, Reformulation of DFT+U as a pseudo-hybrid Hubbard density functional for accelerated materials discovery, Phys. Rev., vol X 5 no. 011006 (2015) [abs].
- Curtarolo, S; Hart, GL; Nardelli, MB; Mingo, N; Sanvito, S; Levy, O, The high-throughput highway to computational materials design., Nature Materials, vol 12 no. 3 (2013), pp. 191-201 [10.1038/nmat3568] [abs].
- Yang, K; Setyawan, W; Wang, S; Buongiorno Nardelli, M; Curtarolo, S, A search model for topological insulators with high-throughput robustness descriptors., Nature Materials, vol 11 no. 7 (2012), pp. 614-619 [10.1038/nmat3332] [abs].