Professor and Director, Center for Materials Genomics
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|PhD in Materials Science||Massachussets Institute of Technology||2003|
|MS - Physics||Penn State University||1999|
|Laurea in Physics||University of Padova||1998|
|Laurea in Electrical Engineering||University of Padova||1995|
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Best Paper Award, CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry)
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award, Office of Naval Research
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Curtarolo, Stefano and Ceder, Gerbrand, Dynamics of an inhomogeneously coarse grained multiscale system, Physical Review Letters, vol 88 no. 25 I (2002), pp. 255504 - 1 [PhysRevLett.88.255504] [abs].
- Curtarolo, Stefano and Morgan, Dane and Ceder, Gerbrand, Accuracy of ab initio methods in predicting the crystal structures of metals: A review of 80 binary alloys, Calphad: Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry, vol 29 no. 3 (2005), pp. 163 - 211  [abs].
- Curtarolo, Stefano and Setyawan, Wahyu and Ferralis, Nicola and Diehl, Renee D. and Cole, Milton W., Evolution of topological order in Xe films on a quasicrystal surface, Physical Review Letters, vol 95 no. 13 (2005), pp. 1 - 4 [PhysRevLett.95.136104] [abs].
- Kolmogorov, A.N. and Curtarolo, S., Prediction of different crystal structure phases in metal borides: a lithium monoboride analog to MgB2, Phys. Rev., B, Condens, Matter Mater. Phys. (USA), vol 73 no. 18 (2006), pp. 180501 - 1 [PhysRevB.73.180501] [abs].
- Stan, G. and Bojan, M.J. and Curtarolo, S. and Gatica, S.M. and Cole, M.W., Uptake of gases in bundles of carbon nanotubes, Phys. Rev. B, Condens. Matter (USA), vol 62 no. 3 (2000), pp. 2173 - 80  [abs].