Xuanhe Zhao received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Harvard University in 2009, MS in Materials Engineering from University of British Columbia in 2006, and BE in Electrical Engineering from Tianjin University in 2003. Upon finishing a postdoctoral training in Biomedical Engineering at Harvard, in 2010, Zhao joint the faculty of Duke University and founded the Soft Active Materials Laboratory.
- Office Location: 301A Hudson Hall Engineering Building
- Office Phone: 9196605441
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|MS||University of British Columbia||2006|
Dr Zhao's research is to understand the fundamental mechanics and physics of materials and phenomena emerging on the interface between engineering and biological systems and to design new materials and structures capable of extraordinary functions. He is currently particularly interested in soft materials which are easily deformed by multiple thermodynamic forces such as mechanical stress, electric field, magnetic field, and chemical potential and their applications in various technologies such as energy storage, energy harvesting, biofouling, drug delivery, tissue engineering, robotics, microfluidics, and water treatment.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation
- Early Career Researchers Award, AVS Biomaterial Interfaces Division
- Haythornthwaite Research Initiation Grant Award, ASME Applied Mechanics Division
- AAM Founder's Prize, American Academy of Mechanics
- ME 555.01 - ADVANCED TOPICS
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Please visit, http://zhaogroup.org (2012).