Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell. Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g. electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- Daniel M. Lazar '29 Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- CEE 421L: Matrix Structural Analysis
- CEE 530: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 701: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- ME 524: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- J. Warner, M. Grigoriu, and W. Aquino, Stochastic reduced order models for random vectors: Application to random eigenvalue problems, PROBABILISTIC ENGINEERING MECHANICS, vol 31 (2013), pp. 1-13.
- 2. B. Banerje, T.F. Walsh, W. Aquino, and M. Bonnet, Large Scale Parameter Estimation Problems in Frequency-Domain Elastodynamics Using an Error in Constitutive Equation Functional, COMPUTER METHODS IN APPLIED MECHANICS AND ENGINEERING, vol 253 (2012), pp. 60-72.
- S. Sarkar, J. Warner, and W. Aquino, A General Numerical Framework for Modeling Dissolution in Corrosion Processes, CORROSION SCIENCE, vol 65 (2012), pp. 502-511.
- Brigham, John C. and Aquino, Wilkins and Aguilo, Miguel A. and Diamessis, Peter J., A spectral finite element approach to modeling soft solids excited with high-frequency harmonic loads, COMPUTER METHODS IN APPLIED MECHANICS AND ENGINEERING, vol 200 no. 5-8 (2011), pp. 692--698 [doi] [abs].
- Urban, Matthew W. and Alizad, Azra and Aquino, Wilkins and Greenleaf, James F. and Fatemi, Mostafa, A Review of Vibro-acoustography and its Applications in Medicine, CURRENT MEDICAL IMAGING REVIEWS, vol 7 no. 4 (2011), pp. 350--359 [abs].