Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell. Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g. electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- Daniel M. Lazar '29 Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- CEE 421L: Matrix Structural Analysis
- CEE 530: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 701: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- ME 524: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Warner, JE; Diaz, MI; Aquino, W; Bonnet, M, Inverse material identification in coupled acoustic-structure interaction using a modified error in constitutive equation functional, Computational Mechanics, vol 54 no. 3 (2014), pp. 645-659 [10.1007/s00466-014-1018-0] [abs].
- de Frías, GJ; Aquino, W; Pierson, KH; Heinstein, MW; Spencer, BW, A multiscale mass scaling approach for explicit time integration using proper orthogonal decomposition, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol 97 no. 11 (2014), pp. 799-818 [10.1002/nme.4608] [abs].
- Sabelli, A; Aquino, W, A source sensitivity approach for source localization in steady-state linear systems, Inverse Problems, vol 29 no. 9 (2013) [10.1088/0266-5611/29/9/095005] [abs].
- Sarkar, S; Warner, JE; Aquino, W; Grigoriu, MD, Stochastic reduced order models for uncertainty quantification of intergranular corrosion rates, Corrosion Science (2013) [abs].
- Banerjee, B; Walsh, TF; Aquino, W; Bonnet, M, Large scale parameter estimation problems in frequency-domain elastodynamics using an error in constitutive equation functional, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 253 (2013), pp. 60-72 [10.1016/j.cma.2012.08.023] [abs].