Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Tomasz Hueckel received his master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Technology in Gdansk, Poland, in 1968, his Ph.D. in applied mechanics from the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, in 1974, and the D.Sc. in physical sciences from the University of Grenoble, France, in 1985. He started his research career at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, then taught at the University of Rome and the University of Technology in Milan before joining ISMES, a research institute in Bergamo, Italy, where he was responsible for research on geomechanical aspects of nuclear waste disposal in clays, a subject in which he continues to be strongly involved. He came to Duke in 1987.
Dr. Hueckel's research interest is in theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, as well as in theory of plasticity. His current projects deal with thermo-plasticity and chemo-plasticity of clays, and in general in mechanics of materials composed of chemically reacting solids and liquids. He is interested in fundamental aspects of soil drying and cracking, and processes of soil aging and healing. The above subjects involve mathematical modeling and model driven laboratory experiments. He also is interested in basic aspects of theory of plasticity, such as stability and localization. His research is applied to hydraulic geo-barriers affected either by chemically hazardous liquids or nuclear waste heat, to prediction of petroleum production induced compaction and subsidence, as well as desiccation damage.
Dr. Hueckel has published in International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal of Engineering Science, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Surveys in Geophysics, Engineering Geology, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Engineering, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Computers and Geotechnics, International Journal of Soils and Foundations, Journal de Mecanique, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Meccanica, Ingenieur- Archiv, and the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. He has also contributed to numerous books on the state of the art. Dr. Hueckel is heavily involved in international research cooperation, collaborating and co-authoring with Belgian, Italian, French, Polish, Spanish and Swiss researchers. He is or was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, the Archive of Applied Mechanics and of the International Journal of Mechanics of Cohesive and Frictional Materials, ASCE Journals of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering and ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, Italian Geotechnical Journal and Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica (Polish).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 164 Hudson Eng Ctr, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5205
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Sc.D. National Polytechnic Institute Of Lorraine (France), 1985
- Ph.D. Polish Academy Of Sciences, 1974
mechanics of materials, theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, theory of plasticity
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- The John Booker Award, International Association for Computer Method and Advances in Geomechanics
- CE 201: Continuum Mechanics
- CE 301: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 302L: Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- CEE 492: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 642: Environmental Geomechanics
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- L.B. Hu and T. Hueckel, Coupled Chemo-mechanics of Intergranular Contact, Computers and Geotechnics, vol 34 no. 4 (2007), pp. 306-327.
- L.B. Hu and T. Hueckel, Creep of saturated materials as a chemically enhanced rate-dependent damage process, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, vol 31 no. 14 (2007), pp. 1537 - 1566.
- Peron, Herve and Hueckel, Tomasz and Laloui, Lyesse, An improved volume measurement for determining soil water retention curves, Geotechnical Testing Journal, vol 30 no. 1 (2007), pp. 1 - 8 [abs].
- Peron, H. and Laloui, L. and Hueckel, T. and Hu, L., Experimental study of desiccation of soil, Geotechnical Special Publication no. 147 (2006), pp. 1073 - 1084 [40802(189)87] [abs].
- Hu, LiangBo and Peron, Herve and Hueckel, Tomasz and Laloui, Lyesse, Numerical and phenomenological study of desiccation of soil, Geotechnical Special Publication no. 148 (2006), pp. 166 - 173 [40860(192)17] [abs].
- Liu, Z. and Boukpeti, N. and Li, X. and Collin, F. and Radu, J.-P. and Hueckel, T. and Charlier, R., Modelling chemo-hydro-mechanical behaviour of unsaturated clays: A feasibility study, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, vol 29 no. 9 (2005), pp. 919 - 940  [abs].
- T. Hueckel, Using Natural Analogues in Assessing Long Term Effects of Nuclear Waste Disposal in Clays: a Case Study, European Review in Civil Engineering, vol 9 no. 5-6 (2005), pp. 791- 797.
- T. Hueckel, Chemo-mechanics of geomaterials: coupled constitutive laws, European Review in Civil Engineering, vol 9 no. 5-6 (2005), pp. 689 - 712.
- T. Hueckel, G. Cassiani, J.H. Prevost and D.A. Walters, Field derived compressibility of deep sediments of the Northern Adriatic,, Land Subsidence, vol 7 (2005), pp. 35-51.
- Hueckel, Tomasz and Pellegrini, Rita, Reactive plasticity for clays: Application to a natural analog of longterm geomechanical effects of nuclear waste disposal, Engineering Geology, vol 64 no. 2-3 (2002), pp. 195 - 215 [S0013-7952(01)00114-4] [abs].
- Loret, Benjamin and Hueckel, Tomasz and Gajo, Alessandro, Chemo-mechanical coupling in saturated porous media: Elastic-plastic behaviour of homoionic expansive clays, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol 39 no. 10 (2002), pp. 2773 - 2806 [S0020-7683(02)00151-8] [abs].
- National Science Foundation, Civil and Mechanical Systems Program, Grant Award "Desiccation Cracks and Their Effects on Permeability in Clays," PI, 2003-2006
- International Committee on Land Subsidence, Eni (Italian National Board for Hydrocarbons), member, 2002-2004
- Fellowship of Excellence for Visiting Professors and Researchers, Government of Catalonia, Spain, 01-07/2004
- Fellowship, Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique, Belgium, 2003, 2002
- Fellowship, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, 2002
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials, Summer 2000
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Workshop on Environmental Geomechanics, Ascona, Switzerland, July 2002.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, International Conference on Geomechanics of Nuclear Waste Disposal, Organized by French National Nuclear Waste Disposal Agency, Andra, Paris, France, 2000
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials, 2000
- Member of International Committee of 4th International Symposium on Environmental Geotechnology and Global Sustainable Development, Boston, Massachusetts, 1998.
- Member of Scientific Committee of 4th International Workshop on Thermo-hydro-mechanics of Clay Barriers, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1995.
- Award of the Secretary General of the Polish Academy of Sciences for papers on cyclic behavior of soils (with Roberto Nova), 1980
- Fellow of Italian National Council of Research, 3 months, University of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1977
- Fellow, Italian National Council of Research, 12 months, University of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1975
- 1st prize in the National Annual Competition for "Most Interesting Polish Paper in Mechanics, 1972" by Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1972
- Scholarship of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 2 years, Institute of Fundamental Technological Research, Warsaw, Poland, 1970-1972
- The Clay Minerals Society, Member (1989-present)
- American Academy of Mechanics, Member (1992- present)
- International Society of Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, member (2000- present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member (1992- present) (Publication Committee, Member, 1998-present)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Member (1992-present)
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1995- present)
- European Geophysical Society, Member (1993 - present)
- Chi Epsilon, Civil Engineers Honor Society, Member (1989-present)
- Societe' Historique et Literaire Polonais, Paris, Member (1988-present)
- Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Member (1972-1981)