Thomas P. Witelski
Professor (primary appt: Mathematics)
- Office Location: 295 Physics
- Office Phone: 00-1-(919) 660-2841
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|PhD, Applied Math||Caltech||1995|
|BS in Engineering||Cooper Union||1991|
|Diploma||Stuyvesant High School||1987|
My primary area of expertise is the solution of nonlinear ordinary and partial differential equations via perturbation methods. Using asymptotics along with a mixture of other applied mathematical techniques in analysis and scientific computing I study a broad range of applications in physical systems. Focuses of my work include problems in viscous fluid flow, dynamical systems, and industrial applications. Through my research I am working to extend the understanding of nonlinear diffusion processes in physical systems. Studying problems in a range of different fields has given me a unique opportunity to interact with a diverse set of collaborators and to transfer analytic techniques across the traditional boundaries that separate fields.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Nominated for 2004-05 Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award
- MATH 551.01 - APP PART DIFF EQU & COMPX VAR
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- S.J.Chapman, P.H.Trinh and T.P. Witelski, Exponential asymptotics for thin film rupture, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol 73 no. 1 (2013), pp. 232-253 , [doi].
- T.P. Witelski, D. Ambrose, A. Bertozzi, A. Layton, ZL. Li, M. Minion, Preface: special issue on fluid dynamics, analysis and numerics, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems Series B, vol 17 no. 4 (June, 2012), pp. i-ii.
- R. Wiebe, L.N. Virgin, T. P. Witelski, A parametrically forced nonlinear system with reversible equilibria, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol 22 no. 6 (2012), pp. 1230020 [doi].
- Y. Huang, T.P. Witelski, A. L. Bertozzi, Anomalous exponents of self-similar blowup solutions to an aggregation equation in odd dimensions, Applied Mathematics Letters, vol 25 no. 12 (2012), pp. 2317-2321 [doi].
- C. Breward, E. Aydemir, T.P. Witelski, The effect of polar lipids on tear film dynamics, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol 73 (2011), pp. 1171-1201 [doi].
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics
- Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems B
- European Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications
- International Journal of Mathematics and Math Sciences