Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Nico Hotz specializes in interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Office Location: 303 Hudson Hall, Mems Department, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5118
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, 2008
My research interests are in the area of interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology including phenomena at the micro- and nanoscale. Thermodynamics aspects of photovoltaics, novel sustainable energy conversion technologies, and chemical reactions are an essential part of my research. My main focus in research is the combination of ideas, insights and results from traditional energy technology such as thermal power plants with novel and innovative technologies such a fuel cells and photovoltaic cells based on micro- and nanostructured materials. An essential topi of my research interests is the energetic and exergetic analysis of complex energy conversion and storage systems, especially including renewable and sustainable energy solutions.
Heat and mass transfer
Solar Energy Materials
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- - 2012 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), June, 2012
- - Best Paper Award in the ASME Energy Sustainability Conference (ES2010), American Society of Mechanical Engineers, August, 2011
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- T. Shodiya, O. Schmidt, W. Peng, N. Hotz, Novel nano-scale Au/α-Fe2o3 catalyst for the preferential oxidation of CO in biofuel reformate gas, Journal of Catalysis, vol 300 (2013), pp. 63-69.
- S.H. Ko, D. Lee, N. Hotz, J. Yeo, S. Hong, K.H. Nam, C.P. Grigoropoulos, Digital selective growth of ZnO nanowire arrays from inkjet printing nanoparticle seed on a flexible substrate, Langmuir, vol 28 no. 10 (2012), pp. 4787-4792.
- C. Kullmann, N.C. Schirmer, M.-T. Lee, S.H. Ko, N. Hotz, C.P. Grigoropoulos, D. Poulikakos, 3D Printing: 3D Micro Structures by Piezoelectric Inkjet Printing of Gold Nanoparticles, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol 22 no. 5 (2012), pp. 055022.
- S.H. Ko, J. Yeo, S. Hong, D. Lee, K.H. Nam, N. Hotz, M.T. Lee, C.P. Grigoropoulos, Digital direct metal patterning for a large area flexible electronics fabrication without vacuum deposition and photolithography, PLOS One, vol 7 no. 8 (2012), pp. e42315.
- N. Hotz, Hybrid solar system for decentralized electric power generation and storage, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol 134 no. 4 (2012), pp. 041010.