Nico Hotz specializes in interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology.
- Office Location: 303 Hudson Hall
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5118
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
|PhD||ETH Zurich, Switzerland||2008|
|MS||ETH Zurich, Switzerland||2005|
My research interests are in the area of interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology including phenomena at the micro- and nanoscale. Thermodynamics aspects of photovoltaics, novel sustainable energy conversion technologies, and chemical reactions are an essential part of my research. My main focus in research is the combination of ideas, insights and results from traditional energy technology such as thermal power plants with novel and innovative technologies such a fuel cells and photovoltaic cells based on micro- and nanostructured materials. An essential topi of my research interests is the energetic and exergetic analysis of complex energy conversion and storage systems, especially including renewable and sustainable energy solutions.
Heat and mass transfer
Solar Energy Materials
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- - 2012 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
- - Best Paper Award in the ASME Energy Sustainability Conference (ES2010), American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ME 431L.002 - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.06L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.07L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.08L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.09L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.10L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- T. Shodiya, O. Schmidt, W. Peng, N. Hotz, Novel nano-scale Au/α-Fe2o3 catalyst for the preferential oxidation of CO in biofuel reformate gas, Journal of Catalysis, vol 300 (2013), pp. 63-69.
- S.H. Ko, D. Lee, N. Hotz, J. Yeo, S. Hong, K.H. Nam, C.P. Grigoropoulos, Digital selective growth of ZnO nanowire arrays from inkjet printing nanoparticle seed on a flexible substrate, Langmuir, vol 28 no. 10 (2012), pp. 4787-4792.
- C. Kullmann, N.C. Schirmer, M.-T. Lee, S.H. Ko, N. Hotz, C.P. Grigoropoulos, D. Poulikakos, 3D Printing: 3D Micro Structures by Piezoelectric Inkjet Printing of Gold Nanoparticles, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol 22 no. 5 (2012), pp. 055022.
- S.H. Ko, J. Yeo, S. Hong, D. Lee, K.H. Nam, N. Hotz, M.T. Lee, C.P. Grigoropoulos, Digital direct metal patterning for a large area flexible electronics fabrication without vacuum deposition and photolithography, PLOS One, vol 7 no. 8 (2012), pp. e42315.
- N. Hotz, Hybrid solar system for decentralized electric power generation and storage, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol 134 no. 4 (2012), pp. 041010.