Assist Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Michael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assist Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked dynamical systems, which studies systems of physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of joint control principles that determine network behavior. Focus on robotic and sensor networks, with applications in formation flying, communication maintenance or intruder detection, as well as on biological and social networks, whose structure and operations respectively determine the way in which many diseases are formed and information is spread. Particularly interested in hybrid solution techniques, on the interface of control theory with the discrete science of networks and graphs.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, May, 2014
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, NSF, February, 2011
- Provost Award in recognition of outstanding achievements in research and scholarship, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2010-2011
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Guo, M; Zavlanos, MM; Dimarogonas, DV, Controlling the Relative Agent Motion in Multi-Agent Formation Stabilization, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 59 no. 3 (2014), pp. 820-826 [10.1109/TAC.2013.2281480] [abs].
- Cappelleri, D; Efthymiou, D; Goswami, A; Vitoroulis, N; Zavlanos, M, Towards Mobile Microrobot Swarms for Additive Micromanufacturing, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (2014), pp. 1-1 [10.5772/58985] [abs].
- Kalogerias, DS; Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM; Petropulu, AP, Mobile Jammers for Secrecy Rate Maximization in Cooperative Networks (2013) [abs].
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Petropulu, A; Zavlanos, MM, A distributed algorithm for cooperative relay beamforming, Proceedings of the American Control Conference (2013), pp. 3796-3801 [abs].
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed stochastic multicommodity flow optimization, 2013 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, GlobalSIP 2013 - Proceedings (2013), pp. 883-886 [10.1109/GlobalSIP.2013.6737033] [abs].