Assist Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Michael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked dynamical systems and distributed control, with applications to robotic, sensor, biomolecular, and social networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assist Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked dynamical systems, which studies systems of physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of joint control principles that determine network behavior. Focus on robotic and sensor networks, with applications in formation flying, communication maintenance or intruder detection, as well as on biological and social networks, whose structure and operations respectively determine the way in which many diseases are formed and information is spread. Particularly interested in hybrid solution techniques, on the interface of control theory with the discrete science of networks and graphs.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, NSF, February, 2011
- Provost Award in recognition of outstanding achievements in research and scholarship, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2010-2011
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Guo, M; Zavlanos, MM; Dimarogonas, DV, Controlling the Relative Agent Motion in Multi-Agent Formation Stabilization, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 59 no. 3 (2014), pp. 820-826 [10.1109/TAC.2013.2281480] [abs].
- Kalogerias, DS; Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM; Petropulu, AP, Mobile Jammers for Secrecy Rate Maximization in Cooperative Networks (2013) [abs].
- Freundlich, C; Mordohai, P; Zavlanos, MM, A hybrid control approach to the Next-Best-View problem using stereo vision, Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2013), pp. 4493-4498 [abs].
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed stochastic multicommodity flow optimization, 2013 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, GlobalSIP 2013 - Proceedings (2013), pp. 883-886 [10.1109/GlobalSIP.2013.6737033] [abs].
- Freundlich, C; Mordohai, P; Zavlanos, MM, Hybrid control for mobile target localization with stereo vision, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (2013), pp. 2635-2640 [abs].