Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Michael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked dynamical systems, which studies systems of physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of joint control principles that determine network behavior. Focus on robotic and sensor networks, with applications in formation flying, communication maintenance or intruder detection, as well as on biological and social networks, whose structure and operations respectively determine the way in which many diseases are formed and information is spread. Particularly interested in hybrid solution techniques, on the interface of control theory with the discrete science of networks and graphs.
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Egerstedt, Magnus B. and Pappas, George J., Graph-Theoretic Connectivity Control of Mobile Robot Networks, PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE, vol 99 no. 9 (2011), pp. 1525--1540 [doi] [abs].
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Julius, A. Agung and Boyd, Stephen P. and Pappas, George J., Inferring stable genetic networks from steady-state data, AUTOMATICA, vol 47 no. 6 (2011), pp. 1113--1122 [doi] [abs].
- Preciado, Victor M. and Zavlanos, Michael M. and Jadbabaie, Ali and Pappas, George J., Distributed Control of the Laplacian Spectral Moments of a Network (2010), pp. 4462--4467 [abs].
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Tanner, Herbert G. and Jadbabaie, Ali and Pappas, George J., Hybrid Control for Connectivity Preserving Flocking, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL, vol 54 no. 12 (2009), pp. 2869--2875 [doi] [abs].
- Michael, Nathan and Zavlanos, Michael M. and Kumar, Vijay and Pappas, George J., Maintaining Connectivity in Mobile Robot Networks, vol 54 (2009), pp. 117--126 [abs].