Lori A. Setton
William Bevan Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Research in Setton's laboratory is focused on the role of mechanical factors in the degeneration and repair of soft tissues of the musculoskeletal system, including the intervertebral disc, articular cartilage and meniscus. Work in the Laboratory is focused on engineering and evaluating materials for tissue regeneration and drug delivery. Studies combining engineering and biology are also used to determine the role of mechanical factors to promote and control healing of cartilaginous tissues. Research in the Laboratory is funded by The National Institutes of Health, The Coulter Foundation and The North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
Appointments and Affiliations
- William Bevan Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Bass Fellow
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 355a, Med Sci Res Bldg, Dept. Biomed Engng & Orthop Surg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8411
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1993
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1984
Tissue Repair, Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Mentoring, Duke University, Graduate School
- Fellow, American Institute of Biological and Medical Engineers
- Van C. Mow Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 530: Tissue Biomechanics (GE, BB)
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Francisco, AT; Hwang, PY; Jeong, CG; Jing, L; Chen, J; Setton, LA, Photocrosslinkable laminin-functionalized polyethylene glycol hydrogel for intervertebral disc regeneration., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 10 no. 3 (2014), pp. 1102-1111 [10.1016/j.actbio.2013.11.013] [abs].
- Evans, CH; Kraus, VB; Setton, LA, Progress in intra-articular therapy., Nature Reviews. Rheumatology, vol 10 no. 1 (2014), pp. 11-22 [10.1038/nrrheum.2013.159] [abs].
- Evans, CH; Kraus, VB; Setton, LA, Progress in intra-articular therapy, Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol 10 no. 1 (2014), pp. 11-22 [abs].
- Bowles, RD; Mata, BA; Bell, RD; Mwangi, TK; Huebner, JL; Kraus, VB; Setton, LA, In Vivo luminescent imaging of NF-κB activity and serum cytokine levels predict pain sensitivities in a rodent model of osteoarthritis., Arthritis and Rheumatism (2013) [10.1002/art.38279] [abs].
- Sinclair, SM; Bhattacharyya, J; McDaniel, JR; Gooden, DM; Gopalaswamy, R; Chilkoti, A; Setton, LA, A genetically engineered thermally responsive sustained release curcumin depot to treat neuroinflammation., Journal of Controlled Release, vol 171 no. 1 (2013), pp. 38-47 [10.1016/j.jconrel.2013.06.032] [abs].