Lori A. Setton
Research in Setton's laboratory is focused on the role of mechanical factors in the degeneration and repair of soft tissues of the musculoskeletal system, including the intervertebral disc, articular cartilage and meniscus. Work in the Laboratory is focused on engineering and evaluating materials for tissue regeneration and drug delivery. Studies combining engineering and biology are also used to determine the role of mechanical factors to promote and control healing of cartilaginous tissues. Research in the Laboratory is funded by The National Institutes of Health, The Coulter Foundation and The North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Bass Fellow
- William Bevan Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 355a, Med Sci Res Bldg, Dept. Biomed Engng & Orthop Surg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8411
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1993
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1984
Tissue Repair, Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Mentoring, Duke University, Graduate School
- Fellow, American Institute of Biological and Medical Engineers
- Van C. Mow Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 530: Tissue Biomechanics (GE, BB)
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Gilchrist, Christopher L. and Witvoet-Braam, Sietske W. and Guilak, Farshid and Setton, Lori A., Measurement of intracellular strain on deformable substrates with texture correlation, Journal of Biomechanics, vol 40 no. 4 (2007), pp. 786 - 794  [abs].
- Li Cao and Youn, I. and Guilak, F. and Setton, L.A., Compressive properties of mouse articular cartilage determined in a novel micro-indentation test method and biphasic finite element model, Trans. ASME, J. Biomech. Eng. (USA), vol 128 no. 5 (2006), pp. 766 - 71 [1.2246237] [abs].
- Betre, Helawe and Liu, Wenge and Zalutsky, Michael R. and Chilkoti, Ashutosh and Kraus, Virginia B. and Setton, Lori A., A thermally responsive biopolymer for intra-articular drug delivery, Journal of Controlled Release, vol 115 no. 2 (2006), pp. 175 - 182  [abs].
- Setton, L.A. and Ong, S.R. and Trabbic-Carlson, K.A. and Nettles, D.L. and Lim, D.W. and Chilkoti, A., Epitope tagging for tracking elastin-like polypeptides, Biomaterials (UK), vol 27 no. 9 (2006), pp. 1930 - 5  [abs].
- Setton, L.A. and Betre, H. and Ong, S.R. and Guilak, F. and Chilkoti, A. and Fermor, B., Chondrocytic differentiation of human adipose-derived adult stem cells in elastin-like polypeptide, Biomaterials (UK), vol 27 no. 1 (2006), pp. 91 - 9  [abs].
- Boyd, L.M. and Richardson, W.J. and Chen, J. and Kraus, V.B. and Tewari, A. and Setton, L.A., Osmolarity regulates gene expression in intervertebral disc cells determined by gene array and real-time quantitative RT-PCR, Ann. Biomed. Eng. (USA), vol 33 no. 8 (2005), pp. 1071 - 7 [s10439-005-5775-y] [abs].
- Gilchrist, C.L. and Xia, J.Q. and Setton, L.A. and Hsu, E.W., High-resolution determination of soft tissue deformations using MRI and first-order texture correlation, IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging (USA), vol 23 no. 5 (2004), pp. 546 - 53 [TMI.2004.825616] [abs].
- Nettles, D.L. and Vail, T.P. and Morgan, M.T. and Grinstaff, M.W. and Setton, L.A., Photocrosslinkable hyaluronan as a scaffold for articular cartilage repair, Ann. Biomed. Eng. (USA), vol 32 no. 3 (2004), pp. 391 - 7  [abs].
- Upton, Maureen L. and Chen, Jun and Guilak, Farshid and Setton, Lori A., Differential effects of static and dynamic compression on meniscal cell gene expression, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol 21 no. 6 (2003), pp. 963 - 969 [S0736-0266(03)00063-9] [abs].
- Baer, A.E. and Laursen, T.A. and Guilak, F. and Setton, L.A., The micromechanical environment of intervertebral disc cells determined by a finite deformation, anisotropic, and biphasic finite element model, Trans. ASME, J. Biomech. Eng. (USA), vol 125 no. 1 (2003), pp. 1 - 11 [1.1532790] [abs].