Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine
- design of self-assembled fibers for tissue engineering
- microfluidics-mediated synthesis of multifunctional nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery
- synthesis of novel quantum dots for biomedical applications
Controlled Drug and Gene Delivery:
- oral gene delivery for hemophilia A and B
- non-viral gene delivery to the GI tract
- oral delivery of antigen genes for vaccination
- study of response of stem cells to nanotopographical cues
- expansion of hematopoietic stem cells
- nerve guidance channels with drug and gene delivery functions
- microencapsulation of stem cells and genetically-engineered cells
- development of bioartificial nucleus pulposus device
- study of interaction of stem cells with synthetic nanostructured biomaterials
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 1395 Ciemas, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8466
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- B.S.CH.E. University of California at Santa Barbara, 1977
Leong's research interest focuses on biomaterials design, particularly on synthesis of nanoparticles for DNA-based therapeutics, and nanostructured biomaterials for regenerative medicine.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- National Academy of Engineering
- Stansell Family Distinguished Research Award, 2010
- 3M Pharmaceuticals Recognition Award, Controlled Release Society, 1996
- Award for Recognition of Pioneering Contribution in Polymer chemistry and Bioomedical Engineering, Chinese-American Chemical Society, 1995
- Capsugel Award on Innovative Aspects of Controlled Release Research, Controlled Release Society, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001
- Cygnus Recognition Award, Controlled Release Society, 1997
- Excellence in Guidance of Graduate Student Research, Controlled Release Society
- Jorge Heller Manuscript Award, Journal of Controlled Release, 2007
- Proctor & Gamble Recognition Award, Controlled Release Society, 1993
- Young Investigator Research Achievement Award, Controlled Release Society, July, 1994
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Advanced Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Lu, M; Yang, S; Ho, Y-P; Grigsby, CL; Leong, KW; Huang, TJ, Shape-Controlled Synthesis of Hybrid Nanomaterials via Three-Dimensional Hydrodynamic Focusing, ACS Nano, vol 8 no. 10 (2014), pp. 10026-10034 [10.1021/nn502549v] [abs].
- Williford, J-M; Wu, J; Ren, Y; Archang, MM; Leong, KW; Mao, H-Q, Recent Advances in Nanoparticle-Mediated siRNA Delivery, Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol 16 no. 1 (2014), pp. 347-370 [10.1146/annurev-bioeng-071813-105119] [abs].
- Kulangara, K; Adler, AF; Wang, H; Chellappan, M; Hammett, E; Yasuda, R; Leong, KW, The effect of substrate topography on direct reprogramming of fibroblasts to induced neurons., Biomaterials, vol 35 no. 20 (2014), pp. 5327-5336 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.03.034] [abs].
- Phua, KK; Nair, SK; Leong, KW, Messenger RNA (mRNA) nanoparticle tumour vaccination., Nanoscale, vol 6 no. 14 (2014), pp. 7715-7729 [10.1039/c4nr01346h] [abs].
- Phua, KK; Boczkowski, D; Dannull, J; Pruitt, S; Leong, KW; Nair, SK, Whole blood cells loaded with messenger RNA as an anti-tumor vaccine., Advanced healthcare materials, vol 3 no. 6 (2014), pp. 837-842 [10.1002/adhm.201300512] [abs].