Edward J. Shaughnessy
Professor Shaughnessy's research interests include analytical, experimental, and computational studies of flow problems arising in biology, medicine, and biotechnology as well as in more traditional mechanical engineering applications.
Current research efforts include the effect of flow of non-Newtonian fluid properties on the flow separation near a tee junction representing a model of blood flow near a coronary artery graft; heat and momentum transfer near rough surfaces modeled by fractal distributions of surface roughness; the influence of flow on particle trajectories in electrostatic precipitators, inertial separators and aerosol sampling devices; and flow processes within or near deformable boundaries. The above work employs finite element based computational fluid dynamics using steady and transient simulations of 2-D and 3-D flow.
- Office Location: 056 Engineering Building
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5304
- Email Address:
|PhD||University of Virginia||1975|
|MS||University of Virginia||1971|
Analytical, experimental, and computational studies of flow problems arising in biology, medicine, and biotechnology as well as in more traditional mechanical engineering applications.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Duke Endowment Award for Excellence in Teaching, Duke University
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- ME 336L.001 - FLUID MECHANICS
- ME 336L.01L - FLUID MECHANICS
- ME 631.01 - INTERMED FLUID MECHANICS
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Ren, Hong and Fair, Richard B. and Pollack, Michael G. and Shaughnessy, Edward J., Dynamics of electro-wetting droplet transport, Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, vol 87 no. 1 (2002), pp. 201 - 206 [S0925-4005(02)00223-X] [abs].
- Shaughnessy, Edward J. and Van Gilder, James W., Low Rayleigh number conjugate convection in straight inclined fractures in rock, Numerical Heat Transfer; Part A: Applications, vol 28 no. 4 (1995), pp. 389 - 408 [abs].
- Katz, I.M. and Shaughnessy, E.J. and Cress, B.B., Technical problem in the calculation of laminar flow near irregular surfaces described by sampled geometric data, Journal of Biomechanics, vol 28 no. 4 (1995), pp. 461 - 464 [0021-9290(94)00086-J] [abs].
- Katz, I.M. and Shaughnessy, E.J. and Cress, B.B., A technical problem in the calculation of laminar flow near irregular surfaces described by sampled geometric data, J. Biomech. (UK), vol 28 no. 4 (1995), pp. 461 - 4 [0021-9290(94)00086-J] [abs].
- Katz, Ira M. and Shaughnessy, E.J. and Zhang, Zongqin, Method for calculating the average cross-section pressure distribution in tube flows within the vorticity-streamfunction formulation, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, vol 22 no. 3 (1992), pp. 349 - 365 [abs].