Associate Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Professor Wright is experienced in the application of artificial intelligence methods for the analysis of failed mechanical elements. After completion of two demonstration systems (FAXS I and FAXS II), a full-scale system (FALCON) has been implemented. The expert system produces as a final product a technical report which includes a diagnosis of both the mechanism of the fracture and the cause of failure. Categorization with Bayesian probabilities has proven more efficient than the commonly employed production rule approach. Additionally, the report includes a list of past case studies most similar to the current study.
A number of extensions to FALCON are now anticipated. The ability of the system to compare and to quantify the similarity between case studies has led us to believe that a method of learning without direct contact with experts is feasible. Further, adding the task of recommending design changes will require significant program development. In brief, the research brings together the disciplines of materials science, mechanical design and artificial intelligence.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 1968
- M.S.M.E. Duke University, 1962
- B.S.M.E. Clarkson University, 1960
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Morrill, J.P. and Wright, D., Model of categorization for use in automated failure analysis, Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress, and Reliability in Design, vol 110 no. 4 (1988), pp. 559 - 563 [abs].
- Morrill, J.P. and Wright, D., Four years' experience with failure analysis expert systems (1988), pp. 371 - 375 [abs].
- Morrill, J.P. and Wright, D., A knowledge-based program for diagnosing metallurgical failures, Comput. Struct. (UK), vol 24 no. 2 (1986), pp. 305 - 11 [0045-7949(86)90288-9] [abs].
- Morrill, J. P. and Wright, D., FAXS II, AN EXPERT SYSTEM FOR FAILURE DIAGNOSIS: A PROGRESS REPORT., Computers in Engineering, Proceedings of the International Computers in Engineering Conference and, vol 2 (1985), pp. 329 - 332 [abs].
- Freed, D. and Wright, D., FAXS: AN EXPERT SYSTEM FOR THE ANALYSIS OF MECHANICAL FAILURES., Computers in Engineering, Proceedings of the International Computers in Engineering Conference and (1984), pp. 338 - 342 [abs].