Alfred M. Hunt Faculty Scholar and Assistant Professor
- Office Location: 178 Hudson Hall
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address:
- Web Page:
Our research deals with experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other. By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are develop innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Hunt Faculty Scholar, Duke University
- Young Faculty Award, DARPA
- Powe Award, ORAU
- CAREER Award, NSF
- ME 431L.001 - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.01L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.02L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.03L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.04L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
- ME 431L.05L - HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- J.B. Boreyko, Y. Zhao, C.H. Chen, Planar jumping-drop thermal diodes, Applied Physics Letters, vol 99 no. 234105 (2011) (First Poster Prize, 2011 Gordon Research Conference on Microfluidics.) .
- D.B. Bober, C.H. Chen, Pulsating electrohydrodynamic cone-jets: from choked jet to oscillating cone, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 689 (2011), pp. 552-563.
- Y. Zhao, D.B. Bober, C.H. Chen, Nonclogging resistive pulse sensing with electrohydrodynamic cone-jet bridges, Physical Review X, vol 1 no. 021007 (2011).
- Y. Zhao, F. Liu, C.H. Chen, Thermocapillary actuation of binary drops on solid surfaces, Applied Physics Letters, vol 99 no. 104101 (2011).
- J.B. Boreyko, C.H. Baker, C.R. Poley, C.H. Chen, Wetting and dewetting transitions on hierarchical superhydrophobic surfaces, Langmuir, vol 27 (2011), pp. 7502-7509.
- C.H. Chen, Electrohydrodynamic stability (2011), pp. 177-220.
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Self-propelled jumping drops on superhydrophobic surfaces, Physics of Fluids, vol 22 no. 091110 (2010) (Gallery of Fluid Motion.) .
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Self-propelled dropwise condensate on superhydrophobic surfaces, Physical Review Letters, vol 103 no. 184501 (2009) (Highlighted in Science; Featured on the Discovery Channel.) .
- J.B. Boreyko and C.H. Chen, Resorting superhydrophobicity of lotus leaves with vibration-induced dewetting, Physical Review Letters, vol 103 no. 174502 (2009) (Cover of Physical Review Letters; Featured in The New York Times.) .
- J.G. Santiago, C.H. Chen, Special issue on fundamental principles and techniques in microfluidics, Lab on a Chip, vol 9 no. 2423-2424 (2009).