Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 178 Hudson Hall, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Durham, NC 27708-0300
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2004
Our research deals with experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other. By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are develop innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Hunt Faculty Scholar, Duke University
- Young Faculty Award, DARPA
- Powe Award, ORAU
- CAREER Award, NSF
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Wisdom, KM; Watson, JA; Qu, X; Liu, F; Watson, GS; Chen, CH, Self-cleaning of superhydrophobic surfaces by self-propelled jumping condensate., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 110 no. 20 (2013), pp. 7992-7997 [10.1073/pnas.1210770110] [abs].
- Boreyko, JB; Chen, CH, Vapor chambers with jumping-drop liquid return from superhydrophobic condensers, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol 61 no. 1 (2013), pp. 409-418 [10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.01.077] [abs].
- Boreyko, JB; Baker, CH; Poley, CR; Chen, CH, Wetting and dewetting transitions on hierarchical superhydrophobic surfaces., Langmuir: the ACS journal of surfaces and colloids, vol 27 no. 12 (2011), pp. 7502-7509 [10.1021/la201587u] [abs].
- Zhao, Y; Bober, DB; Chen, CH, Nonclogging Resistive Pulse Sensing with Electrohydrodynamic Cone-Jet Bridges, Physical Review X, vol 1 no. 2 (2011) [10.1103/PhysRevX.1.021007] [abs].
- Bober, DB; Chen, CH, Pulsating electrohydrodynamic cone-jets: From choked jet to oscillating cone, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 689 (2011), pp. 552-563 [10.1017/jfm.2011.453] [abs].