Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2004
Our research deals with experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other. By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are develop innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Hunt Faculty Scholar, Duke University, 2012
- Young Faculty Award, DARPA, June, 2010
- Powe Award, ORAU, May, 2009
- CAREER Award, NSF, April, 2009
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Liu, F; Ghigliotti, G; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Numerical simulations of self-propelled jumping upon drop coalescence on non-wetting surfaces, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 752 (2014), pp. 39-65 [10.1017/jfm.2014.320] [abs].
- Liu, F; Ghigliotti, G; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Self-propelled jumping upon drop coalescence on Leidenfrost surfaces, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 752 (2014), pp. 22-38 [10.1017/jfm.2014.319] [abs].
- Liu, F; Chen, C-H, Electrohydrodynamic cone-jet bridges: Stability diagram and operating modes, Journal of Electrostatics, vol 72 no. 4 (2014), pp. 330-335 [10.1016/j.elstat.2014.05.004] [abs].
- Scheideler, WJ; Chen, C-H, The minimum flow rate scaling of Taylor cone-jets issued from a nozzle, Applied Physics Letters, vol 104 no. 2 (2014), pp. 024103-024103 [10.1063/1.4862263] [abs].
- Wisdom, KM; Watson, JA; Qu, X; Liu, F; Watson, GS; Chen, CH, Self-cleaning of superhydrophobic surfaces by self-propelled jumping condensate., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 110 no. 20 (2013), pp. 7992-7997 [10.1073/pnas.1210770110] [abs].