Jeffrey N. Vinik Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Jeffrey N. Vinik Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Washington University, 2003
- M.S. Washington University, 1999
- B.S. University of Missouri at Columbia, 1996
Nonlinear dynamics and vibration utilizing analytical, numerical, and experimental techniques. Fundamental investigations of phenomenon and application areas where dynamical systems theory plays an important role.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Defense Manufacturing Technology Achievement Award, DOD Mantech, November, 2007
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow (NDSEG), ASEE, 2001-2003
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2004-2009
- Dean's Advisory Fellow Council Award, University of Missouri, August, 2007
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award for excellence in teaching, Society of Automotive Engineers, January, 2007
- Junior Faculty Research Award, University of Missouri, November, 2006
- CEE 625: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- EGR 244L: Dynamics
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 541: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Tweten, DJ; Ballard, Z; Mann, BP, Minimizing error in the logarithmic decrement method through uncertainty propagation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol 333 no. 13 (2014), pp. 2804-2811 [10.1016/j.jsv.2014.02.024] [abs].
- Mann, BP, Discussion: “On the Role of Nonlinearities in Vibratory Energy Harvesting: A Critical Review and Discussion” (Daqaq, M., Masana, R., Erturk, A., and Dane Quinn, D., 2014, ASME Appl. Mech. Rev., 66(4), p. 040801), Applied Mechanics Reviews: an assessment of world literature in engineering sciences, vol 66 no. 4 (2014), pp. 045501-045501 [10.1115/1.4027257] [abs].
- Lipp, GM; Mann, BP, Dynamics of an eccentric disk on a curved surface, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 266 (2014), pp. 34-41 [abs].
- Tweten, DJ; Mann, BP, Experimental investigation of colored noise in stochastic resonance of a bistable beam, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 268 (2014), pp. 25-33 [abs].
- Ballard, Z; Mann, BP, Two-dimensional nonlinear analysis of an untethered spherical buoy due to wave loading, Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, vol 8 no. 4 (2013) [abs].